Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Return and Report

When a missionary returns from the field, he or she reports on her labors. The stake president who released me asked me to type mine up, so I thought I would share on the off-chance that anyone is still tuning in...

*****
Dear Brethren,

It is my pleasure to report to you on my experiences serving in the Hungary Budapest Mission from October 2005 through April 2007.
I feel there are many ways I was an instrument in the Lord’s hands over this 18 month period. As a convert of four years to the church, the Lord used me many times to increase the perspective and understanding of many of Heavenly Father’s other children with whom I had the pleasure of serving. Many times fellow missionaries who had been raised in the church and knew nothing else came to me with questions about my experiences as I investigated and joined the church. They in turn, became more sensitive to the plights of their investigators. Many people became much more powerful, persuasive teachers with this added light.
In the same way, He used me to the benefit of the members and investigators as well. I saw an added measure of Hope and Assurance in the eyes of many people throughout Hungary as I told my simple story. Only now are members beginning to be baptized who have been raised in the church their whole lives. I was able to relate to every single member there in such a way as many missionaries are simply incapable. My unique story and firm testimony showed the Hungarian people living evidence of what happens to a person who embraces the Gospel.
My whole life one of the attributes that most defines who I am, is my ability to Love. I feel that my mission was a prime time when the Lord used this attribute of mine as a tool to show others His great abounding Love for them. These examples are vast, and often very simple. A phone call, a note left behind in an appointment, or simply looking in someone’s eyes and telling them, “God loves you.” I have seen these small things so many times in my own life, knowing they are some of the tender mercies of the Lord. I know that I have been used to extend them.
Every missionary is given countless opportunities to grow. I felt one way the Lord helped me to grow during my mission was by enlightening and increasing my knowledge. As I studied and prepared to teach the principles of the Gospel, my understanding was ever more added onto. Through the scriptures, Preach My Gospel, the gift of the Holy Ghost and my obedience to the commandments and mission rules my Gospel knowledge has increased in an increasingly exponential capacity. I do not have an understanding of a great many things-but I have a great understanding of the principles and commandments I taught the Hungarian people. In an interview during my last transfer, the mission president’s wife asked me, “What was the most important thing you have learned on your mission?” After a moment of serious reflection, the answer came clear. “That I am a daughter of God, and what that means.” It was something I had been taught many times, but I truly came to understand that on my mission. After sharing this answer with Sister Gasser she stated, “If you know that, you can make it through anything.” I very much believe she is right.
I have also grown in my ability to see the big picture, to recognize and act upon the Spirit and see people as their Savior does. My service in the Hungary Budapest Mission helped me to grow into a person and a member I can very much respect. I feel if I honor the blessings of this growth, it will bless generations.
Brethren, I know that God is our loving Heavenly Father and each soul on this earth is His beloved spirit child. I know that Jesus is the Christ, the Redeemer of Israel and Savior of the world and all mankind.
I know that the crowning event of all human history is the Atonement of Jesus Christ. He suffered for each member of the human race individually-for our sins, sorrows, pains and weaknesses. I know that as we accept this atonement and apply it in our lives, we can be made clean of our sins and partake of the blessings of exaltation.
I know through countless spiritual confirmations that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. In it we can read and learn of our Heavenly Father, His only Begotten Son Jesus Christ, and of the great and infinite atonement He performed that makes God’s Plan of Salvation possible.
I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the Kingdom of God on the earth today. It and the priesthood authority of God were restored through the prophet, Joseph Smith and President Gordon B. Hinckley is the current successor in an unbroken line of worthy men who have followed that great prophet, seer and revelator in presiding over the church in this last dispensation. I know every missionary who preaches His gospel is a representative of Christ, and we have a solemn responsibility to assist them in that great work of God.
I stand before you today and bear you this testimony, not merely as a witness to these truths, but as evidence of them and I do it in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

*****

I was given specific guidlines for my report, and I followed them. After I gave it to the High Council, they asked me a few questions about demographics of the church in Hungary, the members there and what not. It was a wonderful experience.

I reckon I will put up one more post here, just a sum-it-up sort of Goodbye. This is the last remaining active thread from my mission and as has been said many times, all good things must come to an end...