Monday, April 09, 2007

Serendipity

"Serendipity" is one of my Favorite words in the English language. It means simply, "an unexpected surprise". Seredipities have always dotted my life and are some of the most convincing evidence to me of a truth I teach perfect strangers on a daily basis, and that is that God is our Loving Heavenly Father. They can also be understood as something the scriptures and Elder Bednar describe as a "tender mercy of the Lord".

When I was unexpectedly transfered into Debrecen for my last transfer, my one bit of sorrow or disappointment about the situation is that I would not be able to attend General Conference in Budapest. This is where approximately half, perhaps more of the members and missionaries in the country gather to be instructed by the prophet, apostles and other general authorities twice a year on the first weekend in April and October. I was hoping I would be able to see so many people I know and Love, including all of my Elders and the people who have been baptized throughout the course of my mission. Quite a grand hurrah for a soon-to-be Return Sister Missionary.

However, Debrecen is blessed enough to be a strong enough branch to have a real Branch House with satellite capabilities to receive the broadcast right here. This is a very great blessing, but it meant I would not be traveling to the grand gathering at the familiar Stake Center.

Being so spiritually uplifted by Conference helped to forget entirely about the situation and the fact that I had been sad at all...

This Sunday, my companion and I were scurrying to church so we wouldn't be late to services. We made it at 9 o'clock on the dot, but with enough time to have Elder Low open the door for us and give us a friendly hassle about needing to buy an alarm clock. I smiled at hurried into the building, where I saw a very familiar figure sitting in a chair near the back of the chapel.

A few months ago, I mentioned a miracle of my mission whose name is Levente. When we didn't meet at General Conference, he took a train on Easter Sunday that left at 3 o'clock in the morning just to come say "Goodbye". I was completely blown away-it was definitely one of the greatest Serendipities I have experienced.

What added to the joy of the occassion is what happened during services. It was Fast and Testimony meeting, when an opportunity is given to the members to bear their testimonies of the Truth. After a leader from the branch opened that part of the meeting by sharing his testimony, Levente went to the stand. When we started meeting with Levente, he told us that not only did he not believe in God, he didn't think it was even possible for God to exist. I heard the same voice who told us those words bear a simple, but powerful testimony of the truthfulness of a living God, that Jesus is the Christ, that the church is true and many other plain and precious truths.

My heart was touched by the Spirit just from the testimony, but my eyes welled with tears to hear it from Levente. It was absolutely one of the greatest gifts I have recieved from God on my mission.

I hope that every missionary has such experiences and opportunities...

I think He Loves us that much that every one does.