Thursday, December 01, 2005

Report from the Mission front

Things are WONDERFUL here at the MTC. I feel like I'm really starting to sink my teeth into my existence here and the transformation from "Ashalee" to "Pollock Nover" is almost complete.

I'm beginning to see that although I have many hours and much effort and beaucoup faith to exercise - I am going to learn Hungarian. I've been told several times that I talk in my sleep and since I arrived in Provo, I've been a regular subconcious chatterbox! The epiphany hit the night before last, though, when one of my roommates reported that I shouted - LOUDLY - in Hungarian! I hope my grammar was alright....

Being here for such an extended period of time has its definite perks and I am so grateful for the. I get to make lots of friends along the way and if I choose to take it - I can get to know the Elders in my district really well. It's dawned on me that although I'll serve with dozens of awesome young men - this group is special. I'll never have the opportunity to get to know someone the way I have these Elders - my Elders. I'll never spend twelve hours a day for three months with anyone but the companions I'll have. So instead of complaining about being "girl-starved," I've come to find that I need to take it for what it is - a very special blessing.

I love these boys so much. It's ok that I don't have the relationship I'd like to have with my own sibling, because I have them.

I've always wanted a little brother, now I have EIGHT.

Don't forget my used calendar drive at the end of the month!

I do hope all is well for each of you - I miss you so much but the joy I am experiencing right now simply cannot be measured - it is THAT great.

Until next Saturday...I'm loving you all, Party People :)

Friend of the Week:

Tracy

Picture it: Jan 2003, the house on Country Brook Drive.

So the first time I walked into her hom - Tracy has been just an all around AWESOME person to be around. I had heard great things about her through Joni and I was looking for a job. It was high time to get out of Ho-Ho-Kus! I have spent many the hour in ther kitchen (one of the several she used while I was with her at least) girl-talking it away - which was an interesting experience seeing as how we represent such different generatiosn, backgrounds, religions, styles and histories. She's got to be one of the most generous people I know and I spent nearly three of the best years of my life under her employment.

Tracy is a super cute little woman and has the best laugh in the world! Well - the second best - her oldest son takes that cake. MNannies have a tendency to lose weight in her house and the joke is that she starves them. I knew I would miss the kids when I left the house on Scott Avenue - but I wasn't prepared for how much I would miss Tracy. She's been a little bit of many things to me but most of all, a friend, and I am so very grateful for that.

I made the joke several times about writing a book or a movie based on our experiences - but it wouldn't be a jaw-dropping horror story - it would be a side-splitting talke of laughter and joy.