Saturday, December 17, 2005

All These Things are for Thy God

I knew serving a mission would not lessen the fac that I would have trials any more than joining the church would - in fact I knew that I would be subject to a whole new brand of trials because I'm serving a mission.

Tuesday evening I received a Dear Elder from my mother informing me that in my absence there had been a death in the family. Her uncle, who I had earlier received word had suffered a heart attack that left him in intensive care for several days, passed away. I felt a little self-concious about openly crying in the middle of the weekly Devotional every missionary on campus attends and that evenign was one of the rare moments I ached for a hugh from my brothers. Every week after the Devotional we gather to discuss it and the speaker had referenced Scriptures that I read and brought me much comfort. Through a strained voice and tear-filled eyes I told them, "I said when I first arrived ehre that I know I am supposed to be here at this time, with this group." I felt it necesary to remind them, "That is still true."

Serving a mission never meant that I wouldn't feel pain or have trials. But because I am here I have resources available to me that aren't anywhere else, to handle these challenges.

In other news.....

I have my very own companion! Until the 28th, there is a Solo Sister down the hallway without a companion. So for another 11 days I have a companionship of my own instead of feeling like a tag along to someone else's.

It's a short term situation, but I will take it!

Don't let the start of this one fool you - I am still very happy here at the MTC and so very grateful for each one of you!

Just a quick reminder, though. I'll be leaving the MTC Mon, Jan 9th. I really wouldn't recommend putting anything for me in the mail headed this way after Mon, Jan 2nd - send it to Budapest instead! And don't Dear Elder me here after Friday Jan 6th. They print them off once a day, so if you miss the Saturday deadling I won't receive it all because I'll leave before the mail comes Monday morning.

It blows my mind that I get so much support that I have to put up an announcement in orer to communicate the information out.

I'm loving you all, Dear Ones.

- Ashley

Friend of the Week:

The Ellsworths

Picture it: LDS Chapel - Caldwell, NJ - Aug 2005

A meeting begins of the Institute of Religion Advisory Committee. I was freshly (not even an hour ago) called Stake YSA Rep. and Institute Presidents and the new Senior Missionary Couple hwo would be teaching the class over which I would be presiding also make their debut entrance to New Jersey functions. Thus began the beginning of a very beautiful friendship. The Ellsworths were serving a mission from Boise, Idaho and were replacing another couple (who will also be featured here). Some growing pains were involved in the transition but they both became very beloved figures to everyone who knew them. My week often delightfully required me to touch base with them outside of class and they were the forerunners in the excitement to see where I would be called. She would always insist, "Boise, Idaho!" And he would argue, "No! They haven't sent the call yet because they have to finish building her hut because she's going to be the first sister in the Australian Outback!"

The support and love of the Ellsworths have been a highlight of my 24th year - the best one of my life so far. It began with an unexpected present as soon as they learned it was my birthday and I reckon it will end with an outpouring of love so strong I'll feel it in Hungary all the way from Boise. The whole year has been that way - a serendipitous birthday that will last for time and eternity.