Friday, October 21, 2005

Friend of the Week

Allow me to introduce you to...
 
Bryce
 
Bryce is a very dear friend indeed whom I met my first week at KU where we lived together on the awesomely cool sixth floor of good ole Hash Hall.  I remember he wasn't around at first and just appeared well into the bonding process already happening on the floor almost a week after the dorms opened, but he quickly became a regular guest on the list of the Usual Suspects and the adventures that happened there, bringing his very unique flavor with him.  After he moved down the hill to be an RA at Oliver, we made a habit of dinner together in the cafeteria there once a week-and afterwards the only exposure to The Simpsons I have ever known.  I couldn't tell you the title of his major off the top of my head, but it's something to do with Industrial Design and he'll be graduating in December.  We will both most likely be the secondary bread-winners in our respective households and I tell him often I hope we live nearby one another saying, "It'll be great!  We can have playdates all the time with our kids!"  Bryce has a deep passion for cars-one day earlier this summer I said something to the effect of "Car magazines are to you what dirty magazines are to other men."  He responded by saying something to the effect of, "Yeah, and car shows are to me what places of ill repute are to other men too."  Truer words have rarely been stated.
 
I love that I don't know anyone quite like Bryce-and he is a really amazing friend.  He has been supportive in my every endeavor and action, whether he understands it or not.  My coin jar at home is a small pot he crafted and gave to me and if it weren't so heavy it would be sitting in my suitcase right now waiting to go to Hungary with me.  He has two cats and a couple of scooters.  He writes for a scooter magazine, actually and has convinced me of the awesomeness of this motorized vehicular transportation.  He is one of the most geniuely caring people I know and has gone to great lengths to be one of the truest friends I have ever known.  I don't know that we've come across the subject we couldn't put on the table, and I always have a ball when I hang out with him.  I often feel inadequate to have such a wonderful person available to me and I was humbled by his willingness to help when I mentioned that I wanted to have the Blog available and I didn't know if I'd be able to do it on my own.
 
He's just a neat guy-if everybody had a Bryce, the world would be having a whole lot more fun.