Monday, July 03, 2006

Toto, I don't think we're in Szeged anymore...

Boy howdy are we not!

I might as well have transfered into a different planet...hű-ha!

Transfers went very quietly, which is a very big blessing. We ran into an investigator that I met with a couple of times my first couple of weeks here. She decided to do us a favor and talk to the man behind the counter for us to buy our tickets. She actually complicated matters far beyond than what they would have been if she had simply let us do it ourselves. Walker didn't appreciate it much. I almost saw the smoke flaming out of her nostrils. I'm pretty sure I smelled it.

First things first...
I live in the Belváros, the swankiest neighboorhood in the city. Just to give you an idea about it, the most major subway station in the city is the one closest to us. We live on a walking street (as in, no cars allowed) and when President Bush stayed in Budapest last week, he stayed in the hotel that is across from my building. With the right wind and enough velocity my companion could have spit on armed secret service agents from our balcolny.

Speaking of the balcolny, on one end of it we can see parliment, one of the most goregous buildings in the city and on the other side we can see the waters of the Duna river that splits the city between Buda and Pest. We live on the Pest side.

Everything is in our area, Parliment, The Opera House, the national musuem, it is goregous and I have barely been able to take a look...


Second things second...
I have barely been able to take a look because we don't work where we live. We work in the ghetto. I mean, literally, the ghetto. It is certainly an eye-opening experience, but I am grateful for it. If anybody needs the message we have it is the people without anything.

All in all...
It is awesome. I love being here. I have an amazing, sweet new companion who I love, and the work is booming up here in Kispest. I am excited to continue working in it.

I am loving you all...more from Pest next week....