Wednesday, November 09, 2005

10 Days In

And I am learning, living, and LOVING more than I ever thought possible.

Things here are awesomely well. I’m butting heads and basically just learning how to coexist with my District Leader. We could be no more different than if we had been genetically engineered in a lab. But that’s ok. We are going to learn so much from each other.

I’ve been able to really get to know not only the Elders in my District, but the group going to Hungary that arrived in September and the group of Albanians that arrived the same day I did.

It’s funny – here I’m “Hungarian.” Everyone is associated with where they’re going not where they came from.

I’m getting into the swing of things – I am more often able to know where I need to be and when without consulting the schedule and I’m proud to announce I know my way around campus. It took me a week but you wouldn’t laugh if you were here – all the buildings look the same!

Sooooooo much fun ensues getting to know these Elders. By virtue of the fact we spend at least 12 hours a day in a 12’x15’ room we have no choice to be close. Also you would not BELIEVE what we had to do to get our Visas. It’s so gross I don’t dare mention it here, but it’s the sort of experience that cannot help but bring those who must endure it together become much, MUCH closer.

Seriously, I can talk to these boys about anything now.

That’s about all I have time for now. I am LOVING my time here and I know without a doubt that it is the best choice for me. I feel so blessed to have this opportunity.

I’m loving you all….

- Ashley

PS – My little sister turned 22 the day after I arrived – I know she read this at least once. Just in case you’re still checking in, I love you very much and I hope you had an amazing birthday.

Friend of the week:

Kelly

Kel is one of my several Aussie friends, and although they’re all awesome, Kel has to be my favorite. I met her after I had been working for the Wraps for a few months – my employer spotted her dropping off/picking up children Brian and James’ ages and thinking of me, invited her over for a play date. The fun that ensued was some of the best I’ve known. Friday night movies were expected and it wasn’t long until we realized we were each other’s “only friend” (this was actually far from true, but we were certainly our most accessible friend each).

Like every Aussie I know, Kel is extremely laid back and fun. We had our own party when the Dawson’s Creek series finale aired and although it was against my personal principles to do so, I went with her when she got her first tattoo. I couldn’t let her go by herself! Kel has had an amazing impact on my life because through her influence I have gotten a much firmer grasp on what is available to me to do with my life and there is so very much. She teaches me to walk deeply and suck the marrow out of life – and she does so by setting an awesome example.